TUTKOVSKY International Hub of Natural Resources
the Extraordinary Congress of Public Organization Ukrainian Association of Geologists
Resolution of the General Meeting of Participants of the Platform
of the Platform
‘The Implementation of the
Ukraine–European Union Association Agreement Standards
on the Effective and Balanced Use of Natural Resources’
Problems at solving which the creation of the Platform is aimed
At present, Ukraine is trying to accelerate the pace of integration into the European Economic Area and to ensure effective long-term social and economic development. As evidenced by the experience of the leading European countries, one of the determining factors for their long-term social and economic growth was the application of such effective management model as the Platform, which involves combined efforts of science, production and the state in various areas of economy and industry. The results of functioning of the Platforms in the European Union indicate their effectiveness in the context of accelerating innovative development at the level of separate economic sectors.
Transition of Ukraine’s economy to the innovative path of development in conditions of globalization also requires joint efforts of the state, business and science to ensure sustainable economic growth by means of implementation of priority scientific, technological and innovative projects, mobilization of available resources in the coordinated system for achieving objectives and structuring activities of investment system taking into account the prospects of further economic development of the country.
Ratification of the Association Agreement between the European Union and its Member States, of the one part, and Ukraine, on the other part (hereinafter referred to as the Agreement), stipulates the necessity of transformations in Ukraine aimed at achieving the criteria – parameters of economy that meet the requirements of European Union laws. The policy of the European Union in the area of environmental protection and restoration of natural resources involves the phased implementation and realization of strategic steps aimed not only at eliminating environmental risks and overcoming environmental problems, but also at creating preconditions for the efficient and balanced use of natural resources.
In order to ensure their practical implementation, it is proposed to create the respective Platform ‘The Implementation of the Ukraine–European Union Association Agreement Standards on the Effective and Balanced Use of Natural Resources’ (hereinafter - the Platform).
Analysis of reasons determining creation of the Platform
One should recognize critical state of environment in some regions of Ukraine. This is due, first of all, to the lack of proper legal and regulatory support and effective regulatory mechanisms to overcome the negative impact of industrial and municipal pollution on water and land resources, to prevent deterioration of atmospheric air, ensure sustainable use of natural resources. This situation causes deterioration of the living conditions and health of the population, which poses a real threat to the national security of Ukraine. The main reason of environmental crisis threat is the low priority of environmental policy in Ukraine.
Plowed and technologically disturbed lands make up more than 2/3 of territory of the country. High concentration of industrial production in some regions and agricultural production - in others - leads to significant anthropogenic environmental changes, pollution, destruction and degradation of all environmental components. At the same time, there is no real public influence on making decisions and ensuring environmental safety while conducting business activities, there is no guarantee of full access of the Ukrainian citizens to information on the environmental condition, pressing environmental problems and results of environmental monitoring. Existing Ukraine’s departmental approach to monitoring the environmental condition and impact factors is extremely inefficient. The departmental networks and environmental monitoring programs are inconsistent, which results in duplication and insufficient research. The various methodological approaches are being monitored, and pollution indicators are often determined using outdated methods and equipment that does not meet current technical and metrological requirements. Such situation leads to inefficient use of funds. Therefore, there is a compelling need to improve the national environmental monitoring system, taking into account the recommendations of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (ECE) on the creation of the European network of observations and information on the state of the environment, in particular, EUROWATERNET, EUROSOMNET, ICP FORESTS networks and others.
The current state of Ukraine’s economy requires taking urgent measures aimed at economic modernization by involving the best technologies, preserving and effective using national scientific and technological potential. This is due, first of all, to substantial depreciation of production fixed assets and outdated material and technical base; limited resources of industrial enterprises for technological re-equipment and their low innovative activity; non-competitiveness of domestic products and services, including in the area of science, technologies and engineering; lack of real interest of Ukrainian business in modernization and greening of production, in particular, introduction of national scientific research results.
Justification of the necessity of creating the Platform
The Platform should become an effective tool for reforming and modernizing enterprises and organizations of the industries related to the use of natural resources in the process of harmonization of the state policy on the use and restoration of natural resources and environmental protection in accordance with the Association Agreement between the European Union and its Member States, of the one part, and Ukraine, on the other part, determining national priorities for scientific and technological development and enhancing interaction between business, production, science and investment institutions. It will also allow for improving the mechanisms of innovative state support regarding the use of natural resources and environmental protection. Formation of new research-and-production cooperation is envisaged on the basis of the Platform, which will make it possible to initiate changes in the state target programs and volumes of their financing.
Creation of the Platform in Ukraine is conditioned by:
- necessity of implementation of the provisions of the Association Agreement between the European Union and its Member States, of the one part, and Ukraine, on the other part;
- necessity of taking into account the interests of business, science and the state when solving issues of technological modernization of the economy and choice of partnership forms between those;
- insufficient level of staff professional training to meet the needs of technological development of the economy;
- necessity of determining priorities for further development of certain sectors of the economy, directions for technological modernization and consolidation of resources to achieve leading positions in the European Economic Area;
- necessity of improving sectoral regulation and market relations in certain economic sectors to increase innovation activity of companies, expand advanced technologies, attract strategic investments;
- necessity of significant improvement of the existing mechanisms of financial support for implementation of scientific and technical, innovation and investment projects;
- insufficient consideration of the interests of business in determining areas of state-supported research and development, staff training and retraining;
- necessity of interaction between business entities of different economic sectors in order to achieve the effectiveness of technological modernization;
- imperfection of the existing mechanisms of direct interaction of business and production with scientific and educational organizations.
Thus, the Platform is primarily aimed at mobilizing the efforts of all stakeholders (state authorities, business, scientific community) for implementing strategic priorities in the area of use of natural resources and environmental protection, for agreeing and coordinating their interaction within the framework of implementation of the national scientific and technical and innovation policy, ensuring effective public-private partnership to achieve the objectives set.
Purpose, main tasks and period of implementation of the Platform
The purpose of the platform is to improve the competitiveness of the economy of Ukraine by implementing leading mechanisms and practices in the area of the use of natural resources, in particular, of the European Union, high technologies and innovations to achieve efficient, balanced and sustainable use of natural resources, recycling of production-and consumption-waste.
For this purpose the movement will be carried out according to the following vectors:
- development vector – cooperation with governmental bodies to carry out structural reforms aimed at raising living standards and creating favorable conditions for economic activity in the area of use of natural resources by introducing advanced innovative energy and resource-saving technologies, restoring macroeconomic stability of the economy sectors related to the use of natural resources and ensuring sustainable economic growth in an environmentally sustainable way;
- security vector - creation of prerequisites for ensuring guarantees of security of interests of the state, business and citizens, protection of investments and private property in the course of using natural resources, implementation of effective mechanisms for combating corruption in this area, ensuring the safe state of the environment and improving the quality of water and land resources;
- responsibility vector – providing guarantees of access for citizens, as well as legal entities, regardless of forms of ownership, property status, place of registration or location and other features, to obtaining services for the use of natural resources at the state and private levels, as well as reliable and impartial information in this area; irreversibility of penalties for violation of current legislation on the use of natural resources and failure to comply with environmental safety requirements;
- vector of information and educational and social security – participation in formation of the national information system of environmental protection, promotion of dissemination of environmental information and social advertising of environmental protection, establishment of relevant information centers, extensive educational activities.
The objects of the Platform are natural resources and natural ecosystems (polluted or disturbed by anthropogenic impact).
The subjects of the Platform are central and local executive authorities, local self-government authorities; scientific and educational institutions, research, development and design organizations, engineering and service companies, industrial enterprises, associations and organizations, professional associations, organizations-consumers of products of the Platform, consulting companies, foreign organizations, enterprises and institutions, international associations; financial organizations, institutions, including international financial institutions.
The main tasks to be accomplished within the Platform are:
- implementation of modern environmentally friendly technologies aimed at improving the efficiency of production and services, the level of energy and resource saving, reducing the negative impact of economic and other activities in certain economic sectors on environment and human health;
- development of the latest competitive technologies, tools, devices and equipment;
- creation of fundamentals for obligatory reclamation and ecological rehabilitation of the territories disturbed as a result of production activity of business entities, first of all chemical, oil refining industry, power, mining and agro-industrial complexes;
- ensuring the maximum full use of extracted minerals and minimizing volumes of waste generation during their extraction and processing;
- implementation of recycling of production-and-consumption waste;
- solving of pressing environmental problems of the transport infrastructure, in particular, for ensuring the reliability of the technical condition of the pipeline transport and compliance with environmental safety requirements during its operation;
- creation of preconditions for application of mechanisms of direct interaction between companies and scientific and educational organizations, possibility of building new sustainable scientific and industrial partnerships;
- development of the modern geoinformational and analytical system for environmental monitoring, integrated into the international observation network;
- coordination of innovation activities of business entities in the area of applied research, joint use of high-tech scientific and laboratory equipment, establishing effective partnership with leading research and educational organizations and institutions;
- formation of databases of innovative solutions and new environmentally friendly, energy- and resource-saving technologies for implementation in certain economic sectors;
- concentration and further targeted use of financial resources for research and development, implementation of joint innovation projects, taking into account their urgency to meet the needs of society and business;
- promotion of cross-border and regional links and business partnership, in particular, within existing European regions, on the use of natural resources and environmental protection;
- attraction of financial, technological, experts and other resources of international organizations and institutions in order to increase the efficiency of fulfillment by Ukraine of international obligations, in particular, in the area of use of natural resources and environmental protection;
- promotion of commercialization of innovative technologies, in particular, by determining demand and quality evaluation indicators for relevant types of products and services;
- raising the level of public environmental awareness, qualification of experts and specialists for various sectors of the economy, development of educational programs and environmental awareness of the population;
- study of demand and markets for relevant types of products and services for enhancing innovation activities of enterprises, expanding advanced technologies, attracting investment;
- consolidation of efforts of competent specialists on development and implementation of advanced technologies.
To accomplish these tasks, the programs under which the participants of the Platform initiate and implement specific projects in specific areas, are being developed within the scope of the Platform.
Furthermore, the ongoing support is planned within the scope of the Platform for determining measures taking into account alterations and amendments which will be introduced into the legislation of Ukraine in the course of implementing the provisions of the Association Agreement between the European Union and its Member States, of the one part, and Ukraine, on the other part.
Main results of the Platform
The result of implementation of innovative projects within the Platform will be modernization and innovative development of the relevant economic sectors, their proper technological support, increase of energy and resource saving, compliance with environmental safety requirements in the course of carrying out economic activity.
The following will be ensured in the course of implementation of the Platform:
- creation of favorable preconditions for effective cooperation of science, business, education and government bodies for ensuring efficient and balanced use of natural resources, increase of energy and resource saving, compliance with environmental safety requirements;
- consolidation of efforts of competent specialists in development and implementation of advanced technologies in the priority areas of Platform activity;
- creation of data banks for innovative solutions and latest environmentally friendly, energy and resource-saving technologies to be introduced in specific economic sectors;
- determination of strategic priorities, in particular within the scope of further development of cross-border cooperation and development of European regional policy, the list of priority new technologies based on generalization of proposals of local communities and business entities operating within the European regions;
- determination of Platform financial sources, including international investment;
- re-equipment and modernization of domestic enterprises in accordance with the European standards, which will allow for increasing the competitiveness of products, expanding the range of goods and services in the domestic market, stimulating development of competition and limiting monopoly, increasing the volume of foreign investment;
- introduction of progressive technological solutions in the relevant economic sectors, activation of the process of investing in development of new technologies for efficient and balanced use of natural resources;
- effective information and communication support for functioning of the Platform and effective interaction of science, business, education and government bodies;
- creation of the infrastructure for providing advisory services to bring the legislation of Ukraine on the use of natural resources and environmental protection in line with the EU directives for all interested local authorities and business entities;
- introduction of modern technological cycles at the enterprises of the mining complex, enabling maximum use of extracted minerals and minimization of waste generation during their extraction and processing;
- creation of preconditions for large-scale greening of transport infrastructure, in particular, on compliance with environmental safety requirements and reliability of the technical condition of the pipeline transport;
- implementation of modern European practice on the reclamation and ecological rehabilitation of territories disturbed by production activities of business entities, first of all chemical, oil refining industry, energy, mining and agro-industrial complexes;
- creation of the effective tool for making effective management decisions on the basis of the modern geoinformational and analytical system for environmental monitoring, integrated into the international observation network;
- implementation of training and educational programs, publication of manuals, organization of seminars and trainings on raising the level of public environmental consciousness and environmental awareness of the population, qualification of experts and specialists for different economic sectors;
- openness of the expert community with transparent mechanisms of activity, which will promote implementation of innovations in ensuring efficient and balanced use of natural resources.
Volume of financial, material and technical, labour resources
Financing will be provided through participation in grant programs and projects in the areas of activity of the Platform.