GEOLOGY FOR THE EUROPEAN FUTURE OF UKRAINE
The UAG’s action strategy aims to promote the implementation of the Ukraine–European Union Association Agreement Standards on the Effective and Balanced Use of Natural Resources for 2018–2025.
The strategy for 2018–2025 was approved on November 15, 2017, at the extraordinary conference of the UAG and approved by the delegates of the VI Conference of the Ukrainian Association of Geologists.
The strategy describes the activities and defines the priorities of the Association, combining them in the following areas: membership, network of the UAG, professional experience, projects, communications, expert groups (centers of expertise). The UAG is a non-profit organization established to provide professional competence and maintain the qualification level for Ukrainian geologists to represent themselves around the world.
The Association is an independent and reliable public organization. The UAG promotes environment protection, environmental safety and responsible use of natural resources.
Professional geologists contribute to environmental safety, sustainable development, the responsible use of natural resources, effective geological forecasting, the prevention and mitigation of natural perils by cooperating with independent experts and initiating effective dialog with the public.
To promote quality geological science, represent the professional interests of geologists and spread awareness among citizens about the importance of geological science for the society.
Main types of activities
- Scientific meetings and conferences organization
The UAG offers various activities for geologists—from small scientific forums, professional conferences, and round tables to the All-Ukrainian Conferences of Ukrainian Geologists, where global issues of natural resources usage are discussed. These forums, conferences and meetings are held throughout Ukraine. The UAG provides a platform for scientists and practitioners to share the results of their research based on current knowledge and exchange experiences with colleagues.
- Educational programs
The program ‘Professional Development of Specialists of Oil and Gas Industry of Ukraine for International Cooperation and Work in Western Companies’ has been operating for 10 years. Foreign companies operating in Ukraine require their employees to have a high qualification level. Ukrainian professionals working abroad also require qualified special training. The professional development program provides such education through lectures, seminars and training sessions.
- Publication of scientific and popular science journals and books
From 2019, the UAG updates the publication of the international scientific journal GEOLOGISTS.UA. The journal publishes materials of theoretical, experimental and methodological research in the field of Earth Science including the results on the study and usage of energy (oil, gas, solid fuels, and unconventional energy sources), mineral (ore, non-metallic, and industrial waste), water (underground and surface water), land and soil resources. The journal’s publication frequency is quarterly. The electronic version of the publication is free for registered members of the Ukrainian Association of Geologists. For young/new authors, assistance is provided in the preparation of publications for scientific journals.
The publication of popular science books for young people from the series "Earth subsoils, spiritual subsoils" is continued.
‘Oil and Gas Complex of Ukraine’ maps with the scale 1:500 000 are freely available.
- Research grants accomplishment
Projects are funded by the EU and aimed at the development of new opportunities through cooperation with educational and professional programs, licensing and authorization procedures, reporting systems, practices of exploration, extraction, processing of raw materials and waste management, etc.
- UAG’s awards for the best in the profession
UAG along with the financial support of the TUTKOVSKY International Hub of Natural Resources has developed and manufactured awards—Silver and Gold lapel badges, ‘For Merit’ medals in I, II and III degrees, geological hammers engraved with the awardees’ name. On the anniversary of academic Yeuhen Lazarenko they introduced a medal ‘For Contribution to Mineralogy.’
As a partner of the TUTKOVSKY International Hub of Natural Resources, the UAG was given the right to make proposals on awarding the highest award of the Hub—the medal ‘For Outstanding Merits’ named after a member of the academy Pavlo Tutkovsky The medal was designed and made on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine and Geological Survey of Ukraine. The medal, like the Hub, bears the name of the outstanding Ukrainian geologist and geographer, one of the founders of the Ukrainian Academy of Sciences, Pavlo Tutkovsky.
- Teachers/leaders of geological/natural sciences clubs
To fill the gap in the education of geological/natural sciences, a school course of pre-profile preparation – 'The First Principles of Geology’ – for students in grades 8 to 10 was launched, and successfully implemented in Ukrainian schools. The course includes professional development of teachers alongside developed methodological recommendations and training seminars and geological excursions.
- Profession-oriented students support
Working with students is a priority of the UAG. The UAG actively cooperates with young people by assisting them with industry-focused practical training and rewarding the best students with Association awards. Our events connect students and experienced professionals.
- Promoting public awareness in geological sciences
The UAG also conducts training and educational outreach activities regarding the rational use of natural resources and protection, conservation, and restoration of the natural environment.
Implementation of the international platform ‘The Implementation of the Ukraine–European Union Association Agreement Standards on the Effective and Balanced Use of Natural Resources’ including the construction of network communication and cooperation between the government, business, science, education, and non-governmental organizations to improve the efficiency and competitiveness of relevant business entities aimed at the promotion of the integration process of Ukraine into the European Union with simultaneous modernization and intensification of innovative development in the field of environmental management.
Creating and supporting a strong network of members of the UAG
- Supporting and enhancing the Board’s connections with separate departments
- Supporting and enhancing connections between separate departments
- Increasing the number of Association members
- Helping with the involvement of the Association’s potential members involvement with the membership extension
Network of the UAG
- Participating in the global professional community and supporting international networks
- Participating in European initiatives, consultations, international dialogs and events connected with geological sciences and practice, in particular in expert groups (centers of expertise)
- Promoting UAG’s ideas among European institutions and contributing to the national and European policy on geological sciences and practices
- Enhancing cooperation with international geological associations and building strong relations with them and organizing joint events
- Promoting the implementation of the best professional, technical, scientific standards defined by other geological associations
- Searching for cooperation with organizations outside Ukraine to ensure common/global acceptance of criteria and standards related to the geological profession
- Harmonizing the Code of Conduct of the UAG and disciplinary measures with the existing best international practice
- Professional experience
Professional excellence and excellence in the geological sciences promotion
Supporting Professional Competence
- To promote the recognition of the European Geologist (EurGeol) title as a European-wide standard of professional competence in geological sciences (a combination of academic qualifications, necessary experience, ethical practices, continuous professional development, and achievement of a high level of professional competence on the basis of individual/personal responsibility)
- To expand the professional capabilities of Ukrainian geologists to intensify the activities of the National Vetting Committee (NVC) of the European Federation of Geologists (EFG) by contributing to the global mobility of geologists and the creation of new working places
- Further, they actively participated in international initiatives/projects (EFG, European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers (EAGE), American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG), Society of Geologists (SEG))
Professional training promotion
- To cooperate with international professional organizations to provide a platform for the exchange of experience among experts (holding the training courses, reading tours, trainings and geological excursions)
Permanent professional development support
- To cooperate with professional geological organizations for the development and application of ‘Geoethics’ and other aspects of expertise
Support of geologists’ early career
- To support mentoring programs: ‘School of Mentors’ (work with professional specialists from various companies), encouraging students’ participation in international scientific competitions conducted by universities and experts from the business, the provision of ‘job fairs’ in universities, providing internships for the best students (on a competitive basis) with subsequent employment, enabling companies to hold competitions for innovative ideas among students, collaborating on the adaptation of curricula to the business requirements and lobbying the same in public institutions, enabling international exchange programs with the support of companies
- To form and actively spread information to the student audience regarding the initiatives of the UAG (conferences, seminars, training courses)
To ensure strict disciplinary control of professional practice
- To apply the UAG Code of Conduct
- To implement disciplinary procedures adjusted with best international practices
Participation in the EU and other international projects
Strengthen the UAG’s ability to influence geological science and practice
- To participate in the EU projects regarding the implementation of the Ukraine–European Union Association Agreement standards on the effective and balanced use of natural resources
- To be the executor of data collection, monitoring, coordination, information distribution tasks in international projects, thus increasing confidence in the UAG for enterprises and research institutions in Ukraine, Europe and the world
- To intensify the ties of the UAG with relevant organizations in Ukraine, Europe and the world related to innovation, research and development
- To diversify income flows by actively seeking opportunities to participate in projects with external financing being relevant to the implementation of the UAG goals
- Communication tools
Creating awareness regarding geological for society
- To improve the use of geological information for decision-making by local, regional and central authorities
- To increase public awareness on the importance of geological knowledge
- To systematically work to improve the level of basic knowledge of the public, especially young people on geology and geological processes
- To actively take part in activities spreading the influence of geological sciences
- To publicly recognize and celebrate those who contribute to geology in society
- To systematically provide independent, reliable and credible information on geological issues to the wide public
- To regularly form and spread information to the public about the strategic goals, activities and results of the UAG
- To cover and distribute information about the UAG activities in social networks and media
- To increase the readership of the GEOLOGISTS.UA
- Expert groups/Centers of expertise
The formation of expert groups for platforms and other communication tools to provide independent, reliable and credible information on geological problems and their impact on society
- To provide authoritative and objective information to policymakers through expert groups
- To enhance the active formation of European policy through the development of advisory documents on the contribution of geological sciences to public policies that promote safety, sustainable development, responsible use of natural resources, prevention and reduction of natural perils
- To take an active part in the working groups of international intergovernmental organizations (UN, WTO, The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), International Energy Agency, UNESCO) by collecting and transmitting information from experts to promote dialog
- To provide independent and reliable information on geological problems, for example, in public hearings and consultations
- To apply the principles of geoethics (professional ethics) as the basis of the highest professional practices
- To promote professional standards by improving the quality of geological services for society
Centers of expertise are platforms aimed at the exchange of experience, cooperation and expansion of human resources. Each center of expertise chooses its own sustainable development goals according to which it will work and contribute to the achievement of a sustainable future. Partnership through Centers of Expertise has its advantages—a significant reserve of experience, a broad overview of the problem, strategic vision of solutions, ability to transmit experience and results, constant cooperation. The main institutions for cooperation for the centers of expertise are higher education establishments, large companies, small- and medium-sized businesses, industry start-ups, government (ministries, industry research institutes) and academic structures, industry associations, public expert organizations, territorial communities, cooperation at the international level with grant schemes, exchange and internship programs (Erasmus, Horizon), and international partnership initiatives in the industry, companies and higher education establishments abroad.